Monday 8 August 2016

Where to begin?

One question which has astounded me throughout my career so far is "what even is the merchant navy?" 
When thinking back to my careers advice sessions and browsing their library trying to draw some inspiration for a career path, I remember a lot of information on the Royal Navy. A career path which is often confused with the  Merchant Navy but is in fact entirely different, in operation and goals. 

When asked the question, "what do you do?" I usually come out with "well, you know those big cruise ships or those container ships? I basically drive one of those for 8 hours a day." Every person I explain what I do to has had the same astounded face, followed by a sudden realisation that the big floating cities actually do require a form of human pilotage. I remember having the same light bulb moment when gazing out of my school window on the seafront one day (ironic), and thinking... someone must be driving that thing, and so started my investigation into the Merchant Navy, and the ball rolling towards an officers ticket.  

Every merchant navy officer has their own elaborate story as to how they chose or sometimes fall into this career. Many have a lineage in either the Merchant or Royal navy, whether being their fathers, grandfathers, uncles, cousins or family friends. Others, including myself, have had very little influence from their families and are seen as "fresh blood" into the industry, attracted by the promise of travel and tax free income, not to mention a practical based three years training and being paid for it instead of racking up a £50,000 student debt bill. 

So is the sailors life for me?
Life on a ship can be a double edged sword. The benefits and advantages reflect each other. For example, travel. You MIGHT travel as a cadet, but it is not guaranteed. it is guided by the nature of your company. as an offshore cadet, you may spend your whole time in the North sea, where as a cruise company may land the world wise cruise for a few months, with a new port every day, but you might be on the wrong shift, and not have enough time to get off to see the port you're in. My first chapter will highlight these pros and cons of the industry through a cadets points of view as well as an officers, the reason being that the responsibilities and freedoms of a cadet and officer are VERY different. 

The first chapter will include an overview of what kind of people recruiters are looking for in a candidate. I think a successful candidate would need to to be bold, practical, determined, eager and sociable. The will be asked up by an insight from interviewers for the merchant navy cadets and officers.

If anyone has any extra information they feel should be highlighted in educating people in what the merchant navy does, how it operates and who it would best be suited for, comment below. Any contribution is much appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment